Science Olympiad Contest is organized with the aim of advancing scientific literacy among the school/college students and other young professionals through creative competition, for instance organization of events or opportunities of various formats (formal exams, writing essays on science and technology issues, discussion forums, seminars, exhibitions, rallies, art competitions, debates, quizzes etc.) whereby their knowledge on a specific subject such as physics, chemistry, biology, environment, and mathematics is tested. The Olympiad helps on the one hand advance scientific literacy of participants while on the other hand it is a very effective way of raising awareness and interest on science and technology. The Science Olympiad contests that NeSO conducts is a kind of extra-curricular activities and target higher secondary school (10+2) /college and/or university students of science stream from all over the country. It helps students to emerge as the updated and competitive members of the society.
Science Olympiad Contest 2016 is a two level competition of Plus Two students of Science Stream. This year, students from Mahendranagar, Dhangadhi, Surkhet, Baglung, Pokhara, Chitwan, Janakpur, Itahari and Kathmandu Valley will be participating. We expect 1000 students to participate from all over the country. The Olympiad is conducted in three steps. The Tier I is a test of knowledge of science subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics and is scheduled on Saturday, December 10, 2016. From the Tier I, top 40 students will be selected to compete in Tier II. Tier II is held in the month of January, 2017. From among the participants of Tier II, the First, Second and the Third winners will be announced. In the third step, we will organize a grand prize distribution ceremony, in which we will distribute certificates to the top 40 participants, while cash prizes, medals and certificates will be awarded to the winners. The certificates and medals will be awarded from the hands of the Chief Guest and the cash prizes will be handed over from the hands of the sponsor/s.
The objectives of the Science Olympiad Contest 2016 are
- To aware the young generation about the importance of Science and Technology in the development of the Nation
- To promote science education, curiosity and knowledge among the students
- To encourage the students to pursue their higher study in science by acknowledging and awarding them and their talent in the public events
- To motivate the interest of the students by awarding them the cash prizes, certificates and medals.
- 1000 Plus Two level students of Science Stream from all over the country
- Plus Two level colleges and teachers from all over the country
- It will expose the most talented science students of +2 and the scholarship providers for higher studies can find the expected candidates.
- It will create enthusiasm for creative competition among the young students of science stream.
- It will also promote the science study in the +2 level.